Friday February 20, 2009
Entering things on my blog spot has been difficult at best, but my daughter-in-law gave me an idea to use my blog spot for. So I decided to start with a story about my father, Joseph William Waters. Some of you may have his stories from when he was in World War II, but I decided to reprint it here for those who don’t have them. They are so much worth repeating, and I thought I would add a few pictures of him while I was at it.
PVT. JOSEPH WILLIAM WATERS
#39833996
24 SEPTEMBER 1942 - 8 DECEMBER 1945
I was inducted in the army at Fort Douglas, Utah on 24 September 1942. From there I went to Fort Sam Houston, Texas for my basic training. I went cross country on a freight train to Camp McCoy, Wisconsin, where I was put in the second infantry division. I served in the Combat Engineers Battalion, Company A. This is where we took our winter training. We learned how to ski there. One officer, a captain, had never seen snow before. He couldn't stand up on the skis. When he got to the top of the hill he rolled down like a big snow ball It was so funny.
While on guard at Camp McCoy several wolves followed me, Watching me very closely, as I went up and down my watch.
I learned electrical wiring, removal of mines from a mine field, and how to build bridges. All while at Camp McCoy.
Then we went to New York. Where we boarded the ship, USS Hawaiian Skipper. It was a banana boat. We ended up in northern Ireland, Belfast. This is where we learned invasion training and demolition training.
One time, while on guard duty, in Belfast President (then General) Eisenhower was coining toward me. I warned him three times to halt and identify himself or I'd shoot, he didn't, I shot at him and the bullet went right through the top of his helmet. The officer in charge came running, asking what was going on. I told him I'd just shot the General. I was an expert rifle man. The general later commended me for my actions. He went on to say he had passed three other stations where the guards had done nothing.
We then crossed the English channel where we were to be a part of the invasion of France. It was suppose to happen on the 5th of June. But a storm delayed the invasion We ended up going in on the 6th of June. We were the first wave to hit Omaha Beach, Easy Red. We landed at six A.M. We were the ones to clear the beach of mines. This was done by inserting our bayonet into the sand on an angle.
We then went through France liberating Paris. Then on to the Rhine River where I swam across to take a line to the other side. I was the smallest person, thus, making the smallest target for the enemy, the Germans, to hit. This was done to help us build the bridge that was needed. While on guard duty at the Rhine River, someone told me to drop to the ground. I didn't see any one, so I thought it was my imagination. Again someone said "Drop to the ground, I didn't. When the third time the warning came and I didn't obey, I was hit in the back to the ground. Shooting broke out everywhere. My officer came to see if I was hit. I told him "yes'". He looked at my back, then said I'd been hit by a fist, but there had been no one around me.
We went onto Berlin. Then on to Belgium where they were shooting rockets at us. The Belgium Bulge was terrible. I got hit by a sniper in the leg. The bullet went right through. The snipers were in the trees. Our officer shot them. When this happened I was in line to eat.
There were hedge rows along the farm fields. We ended up in them. As I was jumping over one, I got hit with some shrapnel in the head causing a concussion, thus, passing out. I didn't know who I was for three days. I was told that I had walked while in the hospital. But
I didn't know my name and I had lost my dog tags. When the hospital was bombed I had fallen out of bed, that is when I got my memory back. I was completely deaf for two weeks. After that time the hearing returned in my left ear. It never did return in my right ear.
I was sent to England to a hospital with not only my head injury but with arm wounds as well. They put me in a bed next to the kitchen. Where I could smell coffee. They couldn't figure out why I became sick to my stomach. Finally, they figured it out and moved me away from the kitchen.
While I was in the hospital a nurse read to me from the Book of Mormon. Because I couldn't use my arms. She became converted to the Church of Jesus of Christ of Latter Saints."
Elder Hugh B. Brown, one of the twelve apostles at the time, was officiating at and conducting a conference. He told the congregation before he left the area he had to see one more solider. That solider was me. He came to the hospital, where I received a priesthood blessing from him.
When I left the hospital in England, they sent me to guard German prisoners. I had asked permission to take some of them to church. They told me I'd need more soldiers to help. I told them the soldiers wouldn't be needed because these Germans were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And that they would be back. They held me responsible. They did come back.
It was my birthday and I was on guard duty again when the war ended. They came to tell me, then we checked the Germans out and sent them home. I was about to be sent to Japan, but the war ended so I went home instead
I was honorably discharged at Font Douglas, Utah, 8, December 1945.
Some times we just need to be reminded that the freedoms we have come at a very high cost. Joseph William Waters received two Purple Hearts, and the Distinguish Service Cross.
I love what your doing Mom. I have heard these stories before but have never had the privlage to read them. And I dont think I can remember ever seeing a picture of Grandpa when he was young, until now. Thank you, I hope you will share more about grandpa, he was a great man, I miss him.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting such wonderful family history!! I love WWII history..especially from church members.
ReplyDelete